Monday, April 29, 2013

It's just who I am


I have spent the last two years telling myself that starting a blog would be something fun to occupy myself with. Something that I could just unload and display all of my thoughts, adventures, and epiphanies on to. So here it goes. Welcome to my life that is overflowing with pirouettes, boarding passes, and incredibly adorable pictures of my niece Everly.  
It is  difficult to choose one event to kick off the first chapter of my so-called "online diary". A complicated one at that. But it is better that we become a little more acquainted with each other before I reveal all my deepest and darkest secrets. 
I was born March 6, 1996 at Anderson Memorial Hospital in the one and only Anderson, South Carolina. A small town surrounded by two (in my opinion) of the most interestingly named counties there are, Gluck and Honea Path. And for those of you who are not familiar with the area, the names are all you need to draw your own conclusions on the types of places these are. By the way, there are two others just like me in the Walker family. Jennie Rebekah, who is a whopping 12 years older than me. And Zachariah Mark, who is nine years my elder. Growing up with siblings much older than me had its disadvantages, but mostly advantages. There was always someone for me to watch The Andy Griffith Show with. Always someone to sneak me an extra cookie after Mom said we had eaten enough sugar. Always someone to cuddle up next to after a bad dream. Always someone to coach me on how to react when the belt came after my butt so that I didn't get more spankings than I could handle. I never seemed to listen to that one though. I was pretty consistent on reminding my mom that I had "buns of steel", which was NEVER beneficial for me. Anyways! I grew up with a tight knit family. At 3, we relocated to where we have been for the past 14 years. I consider myself lucky to be able to say that I have lived in the same small town for 14 consecutive years. Sometimes I wish that parents would have chosen a different place to raise us kids. But when I take a step back, I realize that half of the reason I am the way I am is because I grew up in a place where everybody knows everybody and their brother. If I had grown up in a city, Atlanta for example, I probably wouldn't stop in the middle of a stroll downtown to converse with my best friend's grandma. Or I would be able to sit in a coffee shop without interruptions. Some people may say that the coffee shop thing without interruptions is what they want. But ya see, that's the difference between them and me. I can honestly say that if that were to miraculously happen one day, I would get lonely very quickly. I met my first and still one of my best friends Alexis when I was four years old. We lived on the same street. I get to drive alongside water and a beautiful sunset every evening. I still see my kindergarten teacher around town sometimes and blame her for the way I dot my i's. Even on the days when my only wish is to escape from the gossip and happenings of this place, it's the little things like that that remind me not to take it for granted. As cliche as that sounds, it's true. 
So by the time I have finished my first ever blogpost, it has rained for the past three hours. Straight. I have let out my most favoritest dog Tucker, and he has left a lovely track of mud leading from the door for me to clean up later. There will most likely be a large puddle waiting for me at my car door when I go to get into my car on my way to school in the morning. But all of those things are okay. Because I know that I will get to see that water and that sunset at the end of the day tomorrow. 
 

5 comments:

  1. Lili,
    Thank you for sharing and continue to do so. we miss those sunsets and puddles! You are so fortunate to be in the family you are. It is your life I am inspired by as we raise Fiona. She will experience many of the same things you have being the youngest of such older siblings. We think and speak of you and fam almost daily!
    You have grown into an amazing and BEYOND beautiful lady and I am blessed and honored to have seen you grow personally for three years while living near you and continue to watch you grow through technology connecting us.
    Continue to share! you just never know how God will use you through sharing the simple and complicated days of your life!
    love you girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Lili.

    I prefer to take my coffee at home with Deanna..........but as you know I am not much for people, crowds, small talk, or the never ending gossip.

    I have seen you grow over the past few years, caused you to stumble at a difficult time in your life, and watched you overcome it like the STRONG young woman you were raised to be.

    Best wishes, never stop learning from yours or other peoples mistakes, and always stay true to yourself. I wish you and your family the best, God bless.

    Jered

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lil!! I am so excited that you are keeping a blog..I love reading your thoughts!

    You are SO STINKIN beautiful in every single way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful and wonderful! You are an exceptional writer, and I love the sentiment. I'm growing to appreciate Beaufort more every day, and you are lucky you see its perks at such a young age! But we both know you're not really that young ;) love you girl and am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lil,
    Thanks for sharing your writing. You da best.
    HAGS!
    Taylor's 4A Class

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...