Sunday, May 5, 2013

avec la pluie, vient le changement

I have spent the past five hours listening to the echo of a million rain drops bouncing off of my windowpane. At certain moments, it sounded as if the rain was capable of bursting through my window and flooding my cozy room. As opposed to most people in this town who hope for sunny weekends that they can spend at the beach, I look forward to days like today. Every once and a while, beach days are great. But I would choose the serene lull of rain and Bon Iver over a southern anthem of beer and tractors any day. Call me crazy.  
It is on days like today that I have the opportunity to actually hear my own thoughts. And occasionally my room gets a good cleaning. Today was a special occasion, but only because it was getting unbearable. (It must be really bad for me to say that). Before I began the adventure of sorting through dirty clothes and Reese's chocolate wrappers, it was nearly impossible to see the taupe color of my shaggy carpet. 
 Back to the thinking thing. Too often, I find myself listening to the opinions of others more than I listen to my own. That is not always a bad thing. But essentially, I am the one who will have to deal with the outcome in the end. So I think listening to my conscience might be more beneficial. 
Believe it or not, I spent the majority of my day thinking about something that I learned in my 8th grade English class (Ms. Paris would be so proud). While reading the novel, The Secret Life of Bee's, there was a pivotal moment in the storyline that followed a heavy rain shower. My teacher explained to us that in mostly every form of literature or entertainment, rain symbolizes change. If you think about it, that makes perfect sense. Rain causes flowers to grow, the bottom of your jeans to become drenched with water (I hate that), and of course, rainbows to appear. All of which are not the same circumstances as they were before the rain came. So with that little tid bit of information on the back burner all day, I couldn't help but wonder if THIS rainy day was going to bring about change for me. The more I pondered that, the more I wished it would. I wear the same colors to school every week. I drive down the same roads every single day. I fall asleep to the same playlist on my iPod every night.  It is about time for some change.  
"avec la pluie, vient le changement."= with rain, comes change in French




3 comments:

  1. I see a book coming in your future...so eloquent writing....God's gift is truly showing thru!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. change is wonderful, so is your blog!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...