Thursday, May 2, 2013

A post about a guy

So I know that I promised I would not spill all of my thoughts to you. I have to protect a decent amount of my integrity and there is an amount of privacy I wish to keep. But I just couldn't help myself with this one. 
Many of you may be hoping that this is one of those intricate, juicy love stories that reveals my prince charming. NOPE. Guess again. 
I have an incredible sister. She has been the perfect combination of brutal honesty and inspirational pep talks that I have needed so far in my life to help mold me into the person that I am and will be. But there is more to come about her later.  
Meet Zachariah Mark Walker.  
 Also known as Zacharoo, Bubba, Zachary, or just one of my favorite people to walk the face of this earth. He is mentioned in my conversations at least 10 times daily. Yes, he is that great. 
Let me just begin with the disclaimer that contrary to siblings in other families, I have always been fond of him. Maybe not as fond as I have been lately, but he has always been one of my favorite people. 
There is a box at the end of our hallway that is the home to a handful of VHS (I might own the last few in the world) home videos. It has been emptied and refilled numerous times because of my fetish with rewinding and re-watching my past. In these nylon reels of memories you will find an interesting collection of Christmas morning surprises, family vacations, and other 5-guest occurrences that apparently just couldn't go undocumented. If he was in the frame of the camera, it was not long before I crawled my way in to join him. Needless to say, I believe that we were two peas in a pod. Of course I was very young, so memories are somewhat vague from that point in my life. But he is a memory that has never been far from my mind. 

I could leave it at this picture and say nothing more. But I will keep going, if you insist.
Zach and I have spent hours arguing on life lessons or what band we think has the best bass drop. We have gone weeks without talking for reasons that were never really established. And there have been moments when I don't think I have ever been so angry with one person. I refer to them as moments because they probably only lasted for 5 minutes at the most. But it is because of those moments that there is more space available for us to become even closer than we already are. If that is possible. 
I have watched him grow. And I have watched him change. Therefore I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp on why he is the way he is and the ways he has affected my life.  I have him to thank for my impeccable taste in music. I have him to thank for bringing Sarah, his gorgeous bride and one of my most trustworthy friends into my life.  I have him to thank for the fact that if any given situation calls for it, I know what part of my hand to use and where to punch someone in the face if I need to get rid of their loud opinion quickly. (My mom will love that one). 
I always love to interject when someone makes a comment to the affect of "I wish I had  brother" is said. Correction. You wish you had a brother like MY brother.  Somebody who protects you from any situation (I was convinced at a young age that he was my guardian angel). Somebody who looks past your flaws and stupidity because of the simple fact that they love you, no matter what. That is what you want. And that is what I have. I am bragging.
So Zacharoo, if you are reading this, thank you for being you. Thank you for teaching me those life lessons that no one else could pound into my brain. Thank you for spending time with me when I know I could not have more unpleasant to be around. Let me repeat myself. You have been and will continue to be one of my favorite people. Ever. 
Prepare yourself Jennie, you're next :) 

2 comments:

  1. Love! I remeber all too well the fun you two had. I can only imagine what life in the Walker house was like! I remember my brother and the 51/2 years between us!If YOUR brother was an OUNCE of Awesome as MY brother.....well then I would say we are two of the luckiest little sisters to walk the planet! LOVE LOVE LOVE your life stories Lili!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderfully spoken/written!! Zach has always been one of a kind and I'm so glad....always with that special smile!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...