Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A season for everything

Thanks to Coastline Imagery (a.k.a. The Dirt Life)


I've noticed throughout my life that along with the weather, there are seasons in life. What do I mean by this? Of course at some point, one must exchange the beach cover-ups and light sundresses in their closet for the oversized flannel shirts and corduroy pants (which I am proud to say I do not own one pair).  But this is not what I am speaking of. Everyone, I'm sure, has heard the saying "there's a season for everything". And the more I ponder the meaning of it, the more I believe it. Let me explain. 

Start with Spring. April showers do bring May flowers, blah blah blah. Around this time of year, prom dresses are bought, diplomas are signed and plans are made for the summer. Most of things happening in the Spring, if not all of them, are positive. It serves as a kick off to Summer. 

Summer is a different story. Although it is a time of carefree sunny days and a surplus of late night star-gazing, it is jam packed with Summer jobs and the dreaded countdown to the coming school year. And if you live in Beaufort, it consists of long days at the sandbar and an unnecessary amount of money spent at the annual Water Festival. But if there is one thing that you have observed about me from reading my blog, it is that the roar of a boat motor and the twang of a country song does not function as a cradle song. Therefore my Summers are quite the opposite of most of those who reside in this seaside town. 

Then comes Fall, which at one time in my life, I looked forward to. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather the weather consist of dreary days where the temperature never rises above 50 degrees and it is acceptable for me to wear my hair in what seems to be a rats nest on top of my head. But for some reason, Fall has consisted solely of change and times when I wondered why these things were happening. I apologize for the cheesy comment that I am about to make. But to me, it seems as though things tend to "fall apart" in Fall. At least for me they do. And these are all things that are impossible to hide from. One encounters the stress of the new school year that was placed on the back burner during summer. If a senior in high school, you are faced with a complicated compilation of decisions concerning college. (THAT'S ME!) It also marks the start of a new work year. Which I am sure if you're an adult, the word "work" brings along a certain level of stress all on it's own. Emotions are amplified due to the dramatic feeling of colder weather and the feeling/fear of being lonely seems tragic as the holidays are at an arms length away. The combination of these things send you into a downward spiral to a bottom less pit where the only thing to do is question what decision it was that you made that led you here. But do not fear, winter is near!

It's the most wonderful time of the year. Along comes winter where the joy of Christmas seems to surpass all of the feelings of emptiness. It is a time when families gather under one roof to celebrate a time when the world would be changed by the first breath taken by a precious baby boy. A time when you set aside the harsh feelings and the grudges that have been brewing inside of you during Fall, and you simply enjoy the company of those closest to you. A time when one is given the chance to fill, and if you're lucky, overflow, your 'love cup'. Can you tell I love Christmas? Then New Years comes along and we get to wrap up the past 365 days and start fresh. Only to encounter spring again. Then summer. Then fall. You know how the rest goes. 

Today is September 24, 2013. Yesterday I cried. Today I am frustrated. And now I am worried. All of which are signals that something, if anything, is falling apart. But I've come to realize that things falls apart so that other things can fall together.  

So the countdown beings. T minus 86 days until winter. 

"There are far better things ahead than any we leave behind." -C.S. Lewis

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...