Wednesday, September 11, 2013

South Sudan, here I come!

Thought I would share something that I have been working on with my faithful, blog-reading friends.





Hey there!

What a year it has been! Things have most definitely shifted since I wrote to you last. I have a larger and more vivid vocabulary, my hair is a lot darker than it used to be, and I now hold the title of a high school ‘senior’. Crazy right? I am starting to understand more clearly the meaning of living in the moment. These moments don’t stick around long enough. One minute I am walking into my kindergarten class, I blink, and I am filling out college applications. But this year is going to be so much more than scholarships and all-nighters. Brace yourself.
It is that time again! That time of the year when I send out a letter containing a description of my newest endeavor and a large amount of money at the bottom of the page, in hopes that one would feel drawn to share a portion of their earnings with a gal like me. But I can assure you that this is much more than that.
I feel as if I have always had a heart for missions. And that is something you hear quite often these days. But it is true. (This is not new news to you.) I have had an ever-present desire to experience, immerse myself in, and explore foreign soil. Not for myself, but for God and those who I am called to serve.  Which is, well, every one. With that said, I might as well cut to the chase.

The afternoon of October 27th, 2013 will be a very hectic and exciting day for me and four other members of our church (Seaside Vineyard Fellowship). On this day, we will depart for South Sudan. Yes, you read that correctly. The common response I have received when telling people where I am going is, “Why in the world would you want to do that?” Psshh.
That’s an easy question with an even easier answer. My God. My people. My world. My heart. All of which are connected to each other, but are individual reasons why I’m taking on such a task and what many consider as a risk. We (as humans), are called by GOD to love the PEOPLE of the WORLD from the depths of our HEARTS.
Being one of the World’s most infant country, South Sudan has become more common in a conversation amongst geography gurus. With more than 11,000,000 people and a land area just a bit smaller than that of Texas, it is safe to say that they are lacking a few things: water and a stable economy being a couple of those. Without these things, the simple resources and necessities that are needed to maintain a country much less keep their people alive are not obtainable. No, I cannot provide billions of dollars to help with their economic situation, and I cannot supply them with all the water they will ever need. But I can love them. Some on our team have already been there many times dealing with basic needs such as medical and water. They have invited us into their lives. While in South Sudan, our team will be leaving a trail throughout a handful of different villages. 75% of what I will be doing is building relationships with the people there. That’s what planting churches is all about (which is the goal of this trip). Whether it is by playing soccer, praying with them, or even a simple game of patty cake. I will quickly become enamored by their smiles, catch their contagious laughs, and watch their hearts grow. I already love them more than I could ever imagine. Most days I am not sure if my heart can hold anymore love for a place I have never been to and for people I have never met.
This is where you come in. As cliché as it sounds, this trip is impossible without you. $3,000. Now for a middle-aged adult with a steady job, that may be a piece of cake. But that is not I, unfortunately. Granted, we are orchestrating many fundraisers as part of the team building process in order to bring in money from the community. But one can only sell so many chicken dinner tickets. With that said, I have two tasks for you. Send me to Africa: both financially and in prayer. By doing that, you are just as much involved in this mission as I am.
I will be updating my blog as often as possible while I am there. You can find me at www.sorefeetchronicles.blogspot.com. I can’t wait to tell you all about it!
Much love,
lils

There you have it! My official support letter for this amazing endeavor I am about to experience. Only 46 more days!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...